The holiday season is here and that means it’s time to celebrate! There’s a lot to do during November and December in Omaha to bring in the holidays with good cheer, but we wanted to take the time to put together a list of some of our favorite holiday events, shows, concerts, lighting ceremonies, bars, restaurants, gift boutiques, and Christmas tree farms to help those who may be looking to start a new holiday tradition or just get into the Christmas spirit in a major way.
Welcome to our ultimate guide to holiday fun in Omaha – 2017 edition. Oh, and if you feel we’ve left anything out, do drop us a line! We’re happy to make changes or additions.
Happy holidays, Omaha!
Our Favorite Holiday Events and Shows in Omaha
- The Christmas at Union Station: Tree Lighting Ceremony – November 24th at the Durham Museum. Entertainment, crafts, music, Santa, cookies, and the lighting of the region’s largest indoor tree.
- The Christmas at Union Station: Ethnic Holiday Festival – Dec. 1st at the Durham Museum. Learn how more than 20 different cultures celebrate the holiday season. Dancers, music, hard-to-find ethnic foods and gifts.
- Holiday Poinsettia Show – November 24th through Jan. 4th at Lauritzen Gardens. More than 5000 poinsettias in 25 different varieties on display.
- Omaha Holiday Lights Festival – Multiple events running from Nov. 23rd to Jan. 1st including a Thanksgiving lighting ceremony, a holiday concert, the NRG Energy Ice Rink, local choir performances, the Wells Fargo Family Festival, a charity event to fight hunger, and more.
- Santa’s Magic – An interactive program for children featuring lights, music, and a visit from Santa, the Snow Queen, and more. At the Omaha Children’s Museum on multiple dates throughout the holidays.
- Santa Goes to Space – Dec. 2nd at the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum. Santa Claus and Star Wars join forces for this family-fun event.
- The Rooftop Rink at Midtown Crossing – A rooftop ice rink near Wohlner’s Neighborhood Grocery & Deli. Open Thursdays through Sundays from Dec. 2nd to February 25th.
- Holiday Under Glass at Joslyn Art Museum – Holiday performances by various community coral and orchestral groups every Wednesday and Friday from Dec. 6th through the 22nd. Performances held in the ConAgra Foods Atrium.
- Boys Town Christmas Family Festival – Dec. 9th. Family festival with holiday stories, Christmas markets, Irish dancers and Christmas tour, carols, Santa, and more.
- Holiday Creations, Coffee & Cocktails – Dec 9th. Presented by Yelp Omaha and Discover Omaha.
- Holiday at Hogwarts – Harry Potter-themed event at the Apollon Art Space on multiple dates from Dec. 9th through 30th. Tickets include personal wands, Hogwarts classes, a Christmas feast, and access to multiple Hogsmeade shoppes.
- Mannheim Steamroller Christmas – Dec. 22nd and 23rd at the Orpheum Theater.
- 14th Annual Holiday Lighting Ceremony at Village Pointe – November 24th. Family concert, Santa parade, and a tree lighting ceremony.
Our Favorite Omaha Restaurants and Dining Options for the Holidays
Omaha has some of the best restaurants, bars, cafes, and eateries in all of Nebraska. Here are some of our favorite picks for enjoying a lunch with friends or a nice holiday dinner with your loved ones:
- 11 Worth Café – Highly rated café with fantastic breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.
- Dante Pizzeria – Some of the best pizza Omaha has to offer.
- Dolce – Fine dining in Omaha with an extensive wine and cocktail list and a broad menu.
- Block 16 – Award-winning gourmet burger restaurant in Omaha. Has unique, delicious lunch options.
- Dinkers – Burgers and lunch options. Voted as one of Midwest Living’s top burger places in the Midwest.
- The Drover – Steakhouse featuring Omaha’s original whiskey steaks.
- A Hill of Beans Coffee Roasters – Coffee and freshly made coffee beans.
- Brickway – Brewery and distillery located in Omaha’s Old Market District. Serves handcrafted beer and spirits.
- Farnam House Brewing Company – Brewery that specializes in European beers of all types.
Our Favorite Gift Shops and Boutiques for Holiday Gift-Giving in Omaha
Looking for that something special for that someone special on your holiday shopping list? Look no further. Here are some of our favorite local stores and shops for gift-giving:
The Brass Armadillo – One of Omaha’s best antique malls, featuring an exquisite library with hard-to-find classic books.
- Scout: Dry Goods & Trade – Environmental-friendly apparel, gifts, and more.
Where to Get a Christmas Tree in Omaha
Omaha has plenty of options for Christmas trees, but here are two of our favorite spots to get a freshly-cut tree at a farm:
- Nordstrom’s Christmas Tree Farm – Situated right in Omaha, Nordstrom’s has gifts and every type of tree you could want.
- Frosty’s Pines Christmas Trees – Another options for fresh cut trees.