Car accidents can be a harrowing experience. There’s the shock of the accident itself, the injuries or damages, and you might be missing work because of it. On top of the that, you have to deal with the car accident claim and insurance adjusters. It’s a lot to take in, and can easily overwhelm anyone.
This can get frustrating, especially when you’re not at fault. You want the people responsible to be held accountable. But even if the accident wasn’t your fault, the wrong steps could get you a settlement that doesn’t cover the costs that you needed it to.
How Can You Ruin Your Car Accident Settlement?
There are a lot of steps in a car accident settlement. People might try to convince you of settling when you don’t have all the information or know all your options. This might get you an unsatisfying settlement, when you could have gotten a better one if you knew about the following points.
Here are 5 ways you could jeopardize your accident settlement:
- Not Seeking Medical Attention. You’re supposed to see a doctor right after the car accident. It doesn’t matter if you feel completely fine, because the shock of the accident can mask symptoms of the injuries. They will be able to detect any injuries that you have and prevent them from getting worse. If you wait and your injuries worsen, you might not able to get compensation.
- Apologizing for the Accident. It might feel natural to apologize for the incident even if you weren’t at fault. However, an apology sounds like you’re admitting fault. This could be used against you later on in your settlement.
- Not Informing Your Own Insurance Agency. You should tell your insurance agency about your accident. Another insurance adjuster from a different company could try and persuade you to settle without speaking to your insurance agency, but you shouldn’t listen to them. They’re trying to get you to settle for as little as possible.
- Not Contacting a Car Accident Lawyer. Handling insurance claims and who to speak to can get confusing. Also, you might not know what to say or accidentally say something that’s used against you later. With a car accident lawyer at your side, you’ll have someone to guide you through the process who wants to get you full compensation.
- Settling Quickly. You do not have to settle as soon as possible. You’re allowed to speak to as many people as possible and take your time making decisions.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car wreck, you might be dealing with injuries, medical expenses, and the anxiety of dealing with a car accident claim. It’s important to know that you don’t have to be alone in this situation. The lawyers at Welsh & Welsh are ready to fight for your rights and get you compensation.
We won’t let you be intimidated by insurance companies. We’ll work with you every step of the way and address any of your concerns and answer all your questions. You’ll always feel like you’re on the same page as us and are never in the dark. You can then focus on your recovery and getting back to your everyday life.
Call us today at (402) 384-8160 for a free consultation.