Chris and James Welsh of Welsh & Welsh
Proudly fighting for the Omaha community for over 65 years.

Nebraska U-Turn Laws

Published on Jun 27, 2018 at 1:58 pm in Car Accidents.

You’re running late while driving to work one morning. Next thing you know, you’ve missed your turn and now you’re really in a bind. You think to yourself there’s no harm in just making a U-turn, right? The answer to that question depends on many things. U-turns are one of those tricky traffic laws that vary in each state. We’re here to provide you with the specifics on U-turn laws in Nebraska.

Nebraska U-Turn Laws

Nebraska defines a U-turn as turning to proceed in the opposite direction. Keep reading to learn about the specific dos and don’ts, as specified in the Nebraska Legislature.

How to Properly Make a U-Turn

  • You must yield to all traffic that has the right-of-way.
  • You must signal your direction of intent no less than 100 feet before turning.
  • You must use the extreme left-hand lane when intending to make a U-turn.
  • You must perform the U-turn in one continuous movement into an available lane in the opposite direction.
  • You must perform the U-turn at a street intersection or median crossover.

When to Not Make a U-Turn  

  • You may not make a U-turn if there is a sign prohibiting that you do so.
  • You may not make a U-turn while going around a curve.
  • You may not make a U-turn if you cannot see approaching traffic in either direction for 500 feet
  • You may not make a U-turn anywhere on the freeway unless you are driving an authorized emergency vehicle.
  • You may not make a U-turn if it cannot be done in one continuous movement.

Penalties for Breaking U-Turn Laws

The penalty for breaking U-turn laws can vary depending on how many violations you’re charged with; however, the process for any ticket will be the same.

First, you’ll need to plead “guilty” or “not guilty.” You can plead guilty by submitting payment for your ticket. If you plead not guilty and choose to challenge the ticket, you will be given a court date. If you go with the second route, you may want to consider getting legal representation.

If you challenge your ticket, there will be court fees. There may also be legal or witness fees.

If you challenge your ticket and win, the citation will be dropped from your record. If you plead guilty or lose the case, points can be added to your license for up to two years, and you will need to pay the ticket and any remaining fees.

Hiring legal counsel can improve your chances of receiving compensation after a car accident, as well as improve your chances of having any charges reduced or dismissed. Our Omaha car accident injury lawyers can guide you through this process. Contact us today for a consultation.